Saturday 23 February 2019

Budget 2019 Announcement- Not much Ang Pow Given

πŸ˜“πŸ˜žIt had been a sad week for me. I was initially very happy and excited when I read that Mr Heng Swee Keat announced during the budget announcement that there will be 50% personal income tax rebate for taxpayers.  However, my shortlived joy turned into sorrow immediately when I read the next line " Capped at S$200". Ok so, it turns out that the Finance Minister is only giving a tiny Ang Pow of S$200 at most for YA2019. This was so much lower than the S$500 tax rebate cap given during YA2017. 

Even though there was nothing much for me, I am glad that my Mum qualified for the Merdeka Generation Medical Package. She had previously missed the Pioneer Generation package by just a few months. Despite writing in then to appeal, the government agency rejected it. The increasing medical cost for my parents has always been a great financial strain on my family. Credit to the government to be willing to share some of the surpluses with older Singaporeans by creating the Pioneer and Merdeka packages to help Singaporeans instead of squirreling the money away into the reserves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment