Monday 9 January 2023

Alibaba (HKSE 9988) 75% Stock Price Explosion in Valuation and Revival from Bottom Low of HKD60 Per Share.

It is interesting to note that Alibaba suddenly shot through to the moon in January 2023 (75% surge in valuation from bottom low as of last week at HDK102 per share) after plunging to a low of HKD60 per share in late October 2022. Apparently, there are 2 main factors: Firstly, analysts are now bullish on Chinese stocks due to the removal of draconian measures against COVID-19 and the impending re-opening of the world's second-largest economy. Secondly, the market views the news that Jack Ma will be relinquishing control of Ant Group as a positive development for Alibaba too. 

I am vested in Alibaba with 2,300 shares at around S$40K in market value based on recent stock price. I did not buy a lot into Alibaba during the trough period as it was too much for my risk appetize. My average price is around HKD89 per share and looking at around a 20% capital gain. Those who bought at a low of HKD 60 will probably see a 80%-90% unrealized gain in market value of their shareholdings soon- so congrats!

Sometimes I think that I got no fate with sudden wealth- I am fated to only be able to accumulate wealth gradually at the pace of the tortoise. Whenever I buy something for capital growth, most likely than not, what I bought will sink in valuation. So I am contended with the bite-size small amount (in the context of my entire investment portfolios) that I have invested into Alibaba thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment